I’mPOSSIBLE is designed for teachers to engage young learners between the ages of 6-12 years. It provides a range of easy-to-use lesson ideas introducing learners to the Paralympic values, Para sports and inspirational achievements from around the world. Wherever possible, differentiated activities have been provided for younger learners, aged 6-8 years.
I’mPOSSIBLE toolkit offers the following materials:
- Teacher handbook
- 15 easy-to-use lesson plans (two themes: Paralympic values and Para sport). Each 45-minute lesson plan includes:
- supporting teacher and ready-to-use learner-facing resources
- activities, quizzes, challenges, PowerPoints and stories about Para athletes
- discussion questions that challenge perceptions of people with an impairment
- Six short, inspirational films
Most units only require basic resources like pencils, crayons, writing paper, chalk boards and access to display boards for sharing ideas and exhibiting completed work. Access to digital devices and the internet certainly has the potential to enhance and further learning but it is not required. The practical Para sport units require access to basic sports equipment and appropriately sized indoor or outdoor playing areas; however there are also suggestions provided for low-cost/no-cost do-it-yourself (DIY) alternatives to make sports equipment.
I’mPOSSIBLE is designed to be flexible so that it can be adapted to the individual circumstances of schools and other youth organisations around the world. Schools can choose how to deliver the programme according to the resources and time they have available, or use one of the delivery ideas listed below. The activities are cross-curricular and could fit into lessons on Physical Education, Sociology, Geography, Literacy, Personal Social Health Education etc.
- Full programme - Start at the beginning with theme 1 and deliver the full programme in the order provided over successive days or weeks, before doing the same for theme 2.
- Flexible approach - Choose activities or lessons from both themes and learning units that align with your curriculum and teach them in any order over successive days or weeks. We would recommend undertaking at least one unit from the Paralympic values theme and one unit from the Para sport theme.
- Week of activities - Devote a week to activities related to the programme.